St. James currently has two positions available; Christian Education Coordinator and Part Time H.S. Youth Leader. Below are the job descriptions.
CHRISTIAN EDUCATION COORDINATOR
DEFINITION OF POSITION
As part of the Faith Development Ministry Team, the function of the Christian Education Coordinator is to support, empower and enable faith journeys through education and action. The goal of the Christian Education Coordinator is to provide opportunities for all people to learn the foundations of our faith, to grow spiritually, and to build deep, personal relationships with the Triune God and each other. The Christian Education Coordinator will provide leadership in coordinating the worship themes/texts of the Church year with educational opportunities, programs, retreats/conferences and events. The current groups the Christian Education Coordinator will support: JAM (Jesus and Me) Pre-K – 6thgrade; G.L.O. (God’s Little Ones); 1, 2, 3 K.I.C.K. (Kids in Christ’s Kingdom); 4, 5, 6 J.U.M.P. (Jesus Understands My Potential); Jr. High Youth Group (Confirmation); High School; and Adult Education (on Sundays and in Bible Study Small Groups).
- Assess the educational needs and interests of the Congregation with current leaders and seek ways to fulfill these with appropriate opportunities
- Assist and explore the development of appropriate curriculum and educational resources
- Support leaders for all educational groups through ongoing communication; identify leaders and facilitate training as necessary
- Coordinate with other components of the Faith Development Ministry Team to match broader goals and worship themes
- Communicate the educational opportunities being offered through in-house, social and traditional media through Ministry Resources
- Keep records of events and programs(including planning) to provide resources for ongoing and future leaders
- Gather financial needs from educational group leaders and report to the Finance Committee for budget development
- Be a presence for the team and the congregation, holding all in prayer
- Meet with the Ministry Team and Faith Development Team when scheduled and provide status updates on current educational offerings and input for future planning
- Coordinate and provide for the logistics of various conferences, events, or mission trips for all ages; may include fundraising
- Effective communication skills both written and verbal
- Ability to teach according to the beliefs and practices of the ELCA
- A strong desire to love and serve the Lord and the Faith Development ministry of St. James
- Criminal background check/fingerprint clearance through Department of Justice required.
PHSYICAL DEMANDS (state of CA requirement)
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms. The employee frequently is required to stand; the employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. May be required to walk up and down steps. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 15 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and peripheral vision. The employee must be able to hear and speak to exchange information in person and on the telephone.
Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
PART-TIME H.S. YOUTH LEADER
The H.S. youth group meet year around on the 1st & 3rd Wednesdays of each month and for special events and outreach. The youth group travels internationally to mission trips every two years for 1 - 3 weeks depending upon the mission outreach and location. This position requires 8 hours per week for planning and meeting with the H.S. Youth.
Plan the H.S. Youth group meetings
Provide for growth & spiritual direction of youth groups.
Work with administration to coordinate youth ministry with congregational goals & objectives.
Build relationships with parents & whole families of youth.
Coordinate long-term goals for H.S. youth ministries.
Be willing to be involved in outreach to youth in the community at large.
Coordinate with the Mission Trip Leader to plan and implement the next international mission trip
Commitment to Jesus Christ & ministry through the local congregation.
Knowledge of the Bible & ability to communicate with youth.
A willingness to work in a team setting, while exercising your own skills.
The ability to engage the H.S. youth to participate in youth activitiesA knowledge of the Lutheran tradition & theology preferable.
Minimum of two years experience of leading a H.S. youth group preferable.